Sunday 26 October 2014

Relatable Sisters...

Do you know what? Sometimes you just need someone who knows what you're going through to talk to. Everyone in my life is so supportive and if I need them they're there, however, I'm quite good at hiding how much pain I'm in or how upset I am sometimes so it doesn't seem like I really need them but today American Susie had a chat with me about how I was feeling, she too is 'suffering' from Ovarian Cancer. 

Susie found out 14 weeks ago that she is pregnant, I have met so many people on my journey that are suffering from Ovarian and we have all been given a 'timeline' so basically all of us, when we were diagnosed were either told 'okay this is how long you have to have a baby' or 'actually we're really sorry but your chances of having a baby naturally are so low now' 
Some of the women have been told there's absolutely no chance aswell which is so sad, I was really lucky with mine that they just gave me a timeline and a few options and we work through things and take everyday as it comes. Being a mother is one of the things I have always wanted I don't know weather it had something to do with being the oldest sibling and the oldest cousin or what but I've always felt very maternal.

One of my first thoughts when I got diagnosed was 'Shit that's it I can't have children' but I do have options and I'm so thankful for that. HOWEVER, it has put a massive strain on my personal life knowing that there's a particular time line for things, however, the support I have is so incredible I know I can do anything, I'm basically superwoman hehehe.

So back to American Susie, I feel like Pam from Gavin and Stacey when I say that you know she has names for people like 'Big Fat Sue' and 'Step Brother John' hahaha, she is literally amazing, her and her husband have always wanted children, however Susie was told she only had 6 months to fall pregnant with a safe pregnancy before they unfortunately had to remove both her ovaries. Now I feel a bit pants writing this because I'm not completely clued up on how it works I only know about my own situation I did ask Susie quite a lot of questions but even she is a bit like 'I have no idea how this works but....' So she was told she had 6 months to try and conceive naturally or they were basically pulling the plug on the whole operation, she wasn't allowed to freeze her eggs because her body wasn't allowed to accept the hormone injections you need prior to the eggs being removed.

So they went home and brought lots of things such as: (If you're trying to conceive maybe this will interest you)


  • At home sperm kit from boots (To check her hubbys sperm was healthy -She figured they better check that quick otherwise they could try for months and then realise it was him which would be sad! 
  • Ovulation Calender - I had no idea these existed like you can BUY calenders to work out when your body will be at it's most fertile time.
  • 'This Thing' - (I am going to quote this because... well you'll see) "There is this thing you can buy with loads of pictures of discharge and mucus on it and it shows you what mucus means you're fertile and what means you've missed it and just what it all means so you don't have to scare yourself on google or keep phoning the doctor"- I'm going to leave that there, no comment.
  • Folic Acid- a small 1 a day B Vitamin it's an inexpensive vitamin to take whilst you're trying to conceive and in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy to help with foetal development (check me out I sound like I actually know what I'm talking about) 
  • Ann. Summers. - Again, enough said.

And literally 5 weeks later she got a positive pregnancy test!!!! Now she's got the CUTEST baby bump it's so cute like... AHHHH! We're making bets at the hospital weather it's a boy or a girl- I'm thinking girl FOR DEFINITE- Although, as a team we have got names for EITHER WAY!

I find it so amazing that they didn't just say to her no sorry you're done they really took every option into consideration and I really don't know if the NHS would've done this 
(This is private healthcare) 

But, we don't really know that so I won't comment anymore on that!

I'm so happy that from this horrendous illness I've got so many positive- I tweeted the other day saying 'Cancer means my life will never be the same again' but I don't think that's a negative thing, WHEN I beat this I will be stronger, I will be kinder, I will be more mindful to other peoples journeys and their struggles and I would've opened the door to myself, I've really had to spend time working on myself through this and I really think it's worked for the better!


CHEERS MY LOVELIES, HERE'S TO THE FUTURE!

Smile everyday because... well, we're bloody lucky to be here.





No comments:

Post a Comment